The Catechesis of the Good Shepherd (CGS) Program is a Montessori based Catholic religious education program which nurtures the child’s relationship with God, and educates the child in the faith. Dr. Maria Montessori’s approach follows St. Thomas Aquinas’ understanding that “all our knowledge has its origin in the senses.” The “Atrium” is a place of prayer, prepared especially for children to contemplate the life of Jesus and the liturgy of the Church with the use of many sensorial materials, including infancy narrative figures, a raised surface map of the Land of Israel, a model altar and a model baptismal font. This concrete method of presenting the faith is similar to the way the Church teaches us through the sacraments, holy water, incense, and statues.
“I came that they may have life and have it to the full.” John 10:10
Level I (for 3-6 year olds)
For 2013-2014, Saint Louis offers several Level I Atrium sessions for children between the ages of 3 and 6 years old. Children must be potty trained and able to follow simple instructions.
- Wednesdays 10am – 11:30am (FULL)
- Thursdays 10am – 11:30am (1 opening)
- Saturdays 10am – 11:30am (1 opening in Spring 2014)
Level II (for 6-9 year olds)
For 2013-2014, Saint Louis also offers Level II Atrium sessions for children who are between the ages of 6 to 9 years old. Level II children must be at least in 1st grade.
- Mondays 2:30pm – 4:30pm (6-9 year olds) – Openings
- Tuesdays 4:15pm – 6:15pm (8-12 year olds) – Openings
Level III (for 9-12+ year olds)
Next year 2014 – 2015, we hope to offer a Level III Atrium session for children who are between the ages of 9 to 12+ years old. If you know someone with wood-working skills, we need help making Level III materials. Next year’s Level III would be held on late Tuesday afternoon (before dinner).
Fall 2013-Spring 2014 Atrium Documents
2013-2014 Atrium registration forms can be picked up at the Saint Louis rectory, the back of the church, or can be emailed to you. For more information, please contact Maria Blazevich at (703) 765-4421 ext. 29 or send an email.
To view the scope and sequential progression of presentations given for Level I and II, click below:
To read the Saint Louis policy concerning registering for the Atrium during a sacramental year, click below:
The atrium is located in the Northwest corner of the Saint Louis Church property near the intersection of Route 1 and Popkins Lane; it is the small white building between Msgr. Walsh Hall and the Adoration Chapel. It is labeled Montessori Atrium.
Atrium Closure Policy
Atrium closures follow Fairfax County Public School and After School Activity Closures. Please see www.fcps.edu for Fairfax County Public School Closures.
PicturesTo view more pictures, visit our Facebook Page!
Would you like more information about the Catechesis of the Good Shepherd Montessori Atrium?
- Saint Louis Coordinator of Catechesis of the Good Shepherd Montessori Atrium
- Saint Louis CGS Montessori Atrium Building (703) 660-9270
- National Organization of Catechesis of the Good Shepherd www.cgsusa.org
- Local Catechesis of the Good Shepherd Training Opportunities www.montessori-mcci.org
Montessori Atrium talks given by Maggie Radzik. Click on each link and press play:
The Atrium needs the following items:
- Narrow Wire Bottle Brush
- Tracing Paper
- Croatian Bible
- Italian Bible
- Any other international Bible (We already have Spanish, French, Polish, Japanese, Chinese, and Korean)
- Artists – Can you paint artistically? We need help painting figures for new works in the level II atrium!
Thank you for helping us find these items and artists!!!